May 10, 2010

" Just Tell Me What To Say"

I actually bought this book by Betsy Brown Braun to help explain difficult situations to Paige. This book really has helped me, as a mom, not say too much or even too little. In August of 2008 my Grandpa Tom passed away and in February of 2009 my Grandma Mary passed away. Paige is five years old and has lots of questions about her great-grandparents, where they have gone and why. I feel we have done a great job answering her questions and making her feel ok about them both going to Heaven. Since their passing, my mom and her siblings have kept the "Smith House" and we have had our regular family get togethers, but now as hard as it is, the decision has been made to sell the house. Paige and I have helped my mom with the up keep of the house and yard this past year, so we have spent many hours enjoying the house.

This weekend we are having our annual Smith Family get together to celebrate all the Spring birthdays. Last night I had to sit down with Paige and explain what would be happening. This weekend, we will be moving many of my grandparents belongings out of the house. It was hard to explain that the house is up for sale and a new family will soon be living in the house. Paige said, "well, maybe the new family will have kids and we can be friends with them and go play at their house". I didn't explain much more than that. One step at a time! I just wanted her to be aware of what would be happening this weekend. I am sure she will have more questions after this weekend, but I feel I am prepared to help her understand yet another difficult situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment